Singal Ttrength in LTE Systems

I’m new to LTE, so starting to learn about it. I’ve had lots of experience with wifi for outdoor use (mostly using Mimosa equipment). I also have 45+ years of experience with various forms of ‘two way’ radio (from 560 khz to 1 Ghz). So you can see where I’m lacking in knowledge and experience.

I see the values of RSRP1 and RSRP2. These appear to signal strength values measured in dbm. So are these similar/comparable to RSSI values?

With Mimosa equipment, we start to see problems with an RSSI link between a client and the access point at around -73 dbm or so. As long as we’re at -70 or better, we’re usually ‘ok’. With commercial digital two-way radio systems, we see a ‘usable’ signal down to an RSSI of around -105 to - 110 dbm. Below that becomes marginal.

What are ‘typical’ values of RSRP1 and RSRP2 for a link that will start to give trouble with Baicells equipment? Can this be compared to these other types of communications systems?

John Rayfield, Jr.
Rayfield Communications

RSRP and RSSI are similar measurement, however, RSSI is a raw signal strength, where RSRP takes into account other metrics. See link below.

A good rule of thumb in most cases is to install clients at -100RSRP, or better.
Typically you will find that RSSI is about 30 point stronger than RSRP number.

All of this is in a mostly clean RF environment.