Yes, I had the same issue. I had to reset the radio at least 2 times a day and I know many other users who’re having the same issue. After trying different versions of firmware, getting help with ISP support and doing an extensive search on google and forums, I did not find any solution and at last, I switched to an ISP who’s not using baicells products. My previous ISP also switched to another company for their new recent CPE but I was already done with them and their decisions.
And its just ridiculous that you can’t find a firmware in the producer’s website. You have to come to their forum and ask fo the firmware, then someone comes and says there’s no firmware, then a month later he comes again and says email us to get the firmware! I did get it and install it but it did not fix the issue.