Monitoring your base stations on your local level

What is the road map on monitoring your base station on a local level?
I have at least 16 enb’s to deploy as soon as i can get them up, but i need a way to get statics’s on a local level. Any SNMP plan? Will the OMC be able to page you when issues arise in the furture ?

Tim,

Presently the eNBs report to the OMC with TR069 protocol, as do the UEs. Some operators are monitoring UEs with SNMP, but it is not available yet with the eNBs. We have requested SNMP to be added to future hardware releases.

Thank you very much!!
Tim

@Timmyb I just posted an article on SNMP OIDs.:slight_smile:

http://community.na.baicells.com/t/snmp-oid-list-outdoor-cpe/154

Thanks! I have that information, but I just need some way to measure the base stations on a local level, and to page us if an issue comes about. I understand it’s still in the works, but we like to be proactive when it comes to tower issues.

Until this feature is added, can’t you monitor the eNodeB IP and a few client IPs with your normal ping test monitoring system?

Sorry for the late response, but you finally hit the 10 below mark, and had other issues to deal with.
Yes only to a small degree. We just purchased a wisp. And that is where we are going to use Baicell heavily to start. To me I don’t care what we use, but I need some way to monitor the eNodes on the wireless side of things. In these areas I really don’t have a clue about other 365 users, and I don’t want to PCI lock anyone yet until I can measure the wireless side of things. Another example is that where I have my Baicell system up and running is two hops away and our servers are 6 hops away, so I might get an notification and is a double negative.
You guys state 90mg connection, but what is reality when you have CINR’s from 13 the 28. I love LTE, but it’s no different than 802.11. you are only as good as your worst customer. It stuff like GPS issues and air time utilization is what I need to know, so I can make better decisions. Our goal is to give everyone a 20mg connection.
I will say I love how Baicell splits the GRE traffic from the Management traffic. The plus side to this is I don’t have to worry so much about backhauls being full duplex, because the GRE tunnel ends at the Ethernet side of the eNode. That being said I can bandwidth shape customers at my edge router, but it’s a numbers game. The packer per second it twice as much in LTE than standard 802.11. If they have a 20mg connection I set their limit to 40mg in my edge router.
Long story short is you give them a connection that does everything they need it to do…… You’ll never lose that customer to any competitor!!!
I hope this explains why it important to me to be able to Monitor eNode.

Thanks

I love LTE, but it’s no different than 802.11.

Hey now! A quick note about the variations in CINR which you mentioned. In LTE, you can adjust the scheduling algorithm. The three which are available in our eNodeB are:

1. Round Robin (RR). This is the simplest scheduler and distributes resources equally to all users in a first come first serve basis.
  2. Proportional Fair (PF). This scheduler tries to please both fairness and total system throughput. User priority is determined by MCS levels (high MCS = high priority) and past average throughput (low past average throughput = high priority).
  3. Maximum Throughput. This scheduler prioritizes users purely on one metric only, channel condition (CQI). Cell capacity is increased at the expense of fairness.

RR is the default scheduler used and is the only fully supported one at this time. The other two schedulers are available but are still in testing at this time.

Lol. A little out of context.
I understand that.
How do you measure airtime utilization, and retransmissions?
If your lowest rated customers are the heaviest users you’ll never see Peak Performance out of the enb.

Tim Beaton

1 Like

Right now can only be viewed from log files. KPI support is coming soon which will include monitoring of airtime utilization and re-transmissions. KPI visibility will be made initially via TR-069 which is what our OMC uses to monitor our equipment.

Are Proportional Fair and Maximum Throughput schedulers still in testing status?

@jesse Can you provide an update on when we can see these KPI figures? I guess they will only be live numbers, and no historic data at first.

Is there any other method to pull data from the eNB, other than TR-069?